Offered in the fall, focus on management issues and special topics in fundraising operations in this capstone. This final step in the certificate program provides the opportunity to tie the components of the six required courses together while also offering additional content.
The Fundraising Operations capstone course includes a total of 12 hours of additional content presented through three class sessions and a final class session that provides the opportunity for you to present your practicum project to the lead instructor, fellow cohort participants and your mentor. As part of the capstone, you work with an assigned mentor to design and complete your practicum project that may directly benefit your nonprofit organization.
This is the final step to earn the Fundraising Operations Certificate. Completion of six online fundraising operations courses are required prior to applying for the fall 2018 capstone. Courses can be found at cpnl.rice.edu.
Participants must complete all of the six (6) online courses listed below before applying for the capstone:
• To learn the essentials of gift processing and record maintenance
• To understand best practices in a donor-centered environment
• To gain awareness of special cases and complex donor transactions
• To learn the essentials of donor relations efforts
• To understand best practices in gift acceptance and acknowledgement
• To recognize the importance and process involved with strategic stewardship including reporting requirements and recognition
• To learn the essentials of prospect management coding, analysis and reporting
• To understand best practices in a donor-centered environment
• To understand how prospect management effectively works with gift officers
• To learn the essentials of data analytics and how it impacts fundraising efficiency and planning
• To gain awareness of the needed data to be tracked to have highest impact with analytics
• To gain awareness of how analytics could be utilized by your organization
• To learn the essentials of database management and data integrity
• To understand best practices in reporting and utilizing information for decision support
• To gain awareness of the application of data to fundraising metric and planning
• To understand best practices in sharing essential data across your organization
• To gain awareness and understanding of different fundraising database system
• To learn the essentials of ethical prospect research, analysis and reporting
• To understand best practices in translating research into actionable intelligence
• To gain awareness on how prospect research collaborates with other departments
The six (6) courses may be completed in the spring semester prior to applying for the capstone course in the fall. Please note that you may take any of the six (6) online operations courses to advance your skill set without committing to the full certificate. You have five (5) years from the time you complete the first course to finish all six (6) classes and apply for the capstone. After acceptance and successful completion of the capstone, you earn the Fundraising Operations Certificate.
2018 Course Schedule
This capstone course is comprised of four course days - two sessions of instruction per day for three course days and one course day for student presentations. The course will run from 10 a.m. – noon Central time for the first session each day and 1– 3 p.m. Central time for the second session each day.
|Working Across Disciplines||Thursday, Sept. 13||10 a.m.-noon|
|Supporting Campaigns: Phases and the Gift Table||Thursday, Sept. 13||1-3 p.m.|
|Managing Up, Down and Across||Thursday, Oct. 25||10 a.m.-noon|
|Talent Management||Thursday, Oct. 25||1-3 p.m.|
|Change Management||Thursday, Nov. 8||10 a.m.-noon|
|Emerging Issues & Trends||Thursday, Nov. 8||1-3 p.m.|
|Practicum Presentations||Thursday, Dec. 6||10 a.m.-noon|
|*as needed based on the number of program participants||Thursday, Dec. 6||1-3 p.m.|
Once you have successfully completed all six online fundraising operations courses, you may apply for the capstone course. The capstone course includes a total of 12 hours of additional content presented through three class sessions and a final class session that provides participants the opportunity to present their practicum project to the lead instructor, fellow cohort participants and their mentor. The practicum project is an individual strategic project that requires a written paper and presentation submission.
Participants have five years from the time they complete the first course online fundraising operations to finish all six classes and apply for the capstone course. After acceptance and successful completion of the capstone, you earn the Fundraising Operations Certificate
To begin the application process for the capstone course, the final step to earn the Fundraising Operations Certificate, please submit the following completed forms: the program application form, résumé or curriculum vitae, a personal statement and one professional letter of recommendation.
Once all required documents are received, completed files are reviewed after the application deadline. Decisions regarding admittance into the program are made by an admissions committee and applicants will receive an official decision letter within two weeks from the review period.
Applications received after the deadline are considered on a space-available basis, after the initial group of applicants has been considered.
Early Application Deadline: Friday, July 6, 2018 (includes a discount)
General Application Deadline: Friday, August 10, 2018
Mail completed applications to:
Susanne M. Glasscock School of Continuing Studies
Center for Philanthropy and Nonprofit Leadership
PO Box 1892 - MS 550
Houston, TX 77251-1892
For additional information regarding the application process, please contact our program coordinator at 713-348-6009 or email email@example.com.
Individual course pricing: $285 (discounts available for AASP, APRA and AFP members)
Capstone course pricing: $1,695 AASP APRA and AFP members: $1,440
Alternative Payment Options
Payment plan options are available for the Capstone course by request. Payment plans will not be granted after the start of the program. Contact the program coordinator for the required forms needed to request this option.
No refunds will be issued on or after the start date of the program. Fees will be refunded in-full when enrollments are canceled in writing ten (10) business days before the program start date. For enrollment cancellations submitted in writing less than two weeks before the program start date, a 20% processing fee will be deducted from the overall refund.