This online certificate program is specifically designed to increase an individual’s knowledge and improve their capacity to assist students in navigating the pathway to college. Throughout the course of study, participants are encouraged to explore and reflect on previous experiences and bridge new understandings from course offerings into future practice.
Rice’s Center for College Readiness offers two paths for individuals interested in completing the College Access Counseling Certificate program.
- The Campus Professional: Educators currently employed by a school or school district
- The Independent College Consultant: Individuals working in or considering working in the field of college access consulting
Both plans of study consist of coursework focused on fundamental topics in college counseling and college access, allowing individuals to further develop their knowledge, learn new strategies for student engagement and generally broaden their counseling skills and knowledge.
The Capstone course is the final course in the plan of study. Candidates complete an ePortfolio to showcase their work and knowledge of college counseling support and services. Successful completion of the Capstone course is required to earn the College Access Counseling Certificate.
Who should enroll in our programs?
- Current college access counselors
- Aspiring college access counselors
- Professionals working with students in navigating the pathway to college
This certificate is recommended for individuals with less than three years of college access counseling experience. Courses are intended to educate participants about the basics of the college admissions/advising process.